- If all morning newspapers read in the United States
were recycled, 41,000 trees would be saved daily and 6 million tons of waste would
never end up in landfills.
- Recycling an aluminum can saves enough energy to run a
television set for three hours.
- Each year, steel recycling saves the energy equivalent
to electrically power about one-fifth of U.S. households for one year.
- Americans buy over 85 million tons of paper per
year-that's about 700 pounds per person.
- Every year nearly 900,000,000 trees are cut down to
provide raw materials for American paper and pulp mills.
- Every year we generate around 14 million tons of food
waste which is 106 pounds of food waste per person.
- Americans throw away about 28 billion bottles and jars
- Even 500 years from now, the foam coffee cup you used
this morning will be sitting in a landfill.
- 98% of lead acid or car batteries are being recycled.